Designing branded iconography for mobile apps company-wide.
J.P. Morgan App Icon Architecture
The challenge J.P. Morgan faced for their app icons, was that their entire catalog of app icons were presented in a myriad of styles and colors. Compounding the issue was all of the icons were developed and owned by varying groups throughout the organization. As you might imagine, this created wild inconsistencies across lines of business, disorienting users, and ultimaely diluting the brand image.
Although J.P. Morgan Asset Management had numerous goals for this project, the keystone achievement would be to get all of the app icons to look like they belonged to the same family. The solution was to architect and design a visually simple and repeatable structure that posses both reason and intentionality as an integral part of its DNA.
The design solution provided these benefits:
- Design created a stable system that could be used across all lines of business
- Present a consistent brand structure
- Provide better visual cues for what the app does
- Created a style that’s understandable, easily communicated, and repeatable.
- Differentiates J.P. Morgan app icons from competitors